Hardware Installation & Maintenance Final Exam Study Guide
1. A HDMI cable is generally used for what computer functions?
2. Where does one go to verify correct hardware settings in a system?
3. What connectors from a power supply should be used with a graphics expansion card?
4. What MUST be performed when installing a Video card for use?
5. What expansion slots is characterized by having an x16 speed?
6. What types of Ethernet should be used if a technician has no choice but to run cable along fluorescent lighting arrays in a suspended ceiling?
7. What laptop accessories would MOST likely be used to support multiple expansion ports?
8. What connector types is used on a CAT5 cable?
9. What can be implemented on a WAP to ensure that only certain client machines can access it?
10. Secure web traffic uses what port?
11. What features can be configured with keyboards to assist users with disabilities?
12. What features makes logical processor cores appear as physical cores to the operating system?
13. What storage media would be used to build a cost-effective RAID 5 array?
14. A network consisting of numerous geographically dispersed networks that cover a large physical distance is referred to as a ______.
15. What connections has 9-pins?
16. What wireless standards is backwards compatible with 802.11g?
17. A technician needs to make several patch cables. What tools would the technician use to attach the RJ-45 ends to the cables?
18. What is the standard loopback address for IPv4?
19. What will provide the BEST protection against power failures and data loss?
20. What is a benefit of using ECC memory?
21. What are components of an “active” CPU cooling solution?
22. What features of a CPU socket is designed to make installation of a CPU easier?
23. What ports are commonly used to send/receive email?
24. What is an example of an IPv4 address?
25. What expansion slots can ONLY be found on a desktop computer?
26. A standard Internet mail account receives incoming messages on what ports?
27. What network devices would be MOST likely to perform Network Address Translation (NAT)? 28. What is MOST likely needed when installing a new POS thermal printer?
29. What network type’s BEST represents a network centered a city?
30. What is LEAST likely to be considered a consumer replaceable part in a laptop?
31. What is the speed limitation for CAT3 wiring?
32. What provides the LEAST network security?
33. What RAM types are compatible with PC2700 and maintain the same performance?
35. A DVI-D cable is generally used for what computer functions?
36. What PC expansion cards need to be installed so you can have hard drive performance and redundancy?
37. What is the FIRST component to transfer heat away from a processor?
38. What BEST describes the function of DNS?
39. What printers is required when carbon paper is used?
40. A technician is looking to install a 3.5 inch desktop hard drive into an external enclosure. What input interfaces would provide the fastest speed for the drive?
41. What encryption methods is considered easily broken and should be avoided when configuring wireless security? 42. What cable types has a MAXIMUM transmission rate of 100 Mb?
43. A user on a wireless network has the IP address 169.254.155.2 but cannot connect to the Internet. What should the user check on the wireless router?
44. What types of RAM is used with the current i-Series CPUs?
45. Where does one go to verify correct hardware settings in a system? 46. What types of RAM can be used in a dual channel configuration? 47. What is representative of a public class B address type?
48. What memory form factors is MOST commonly found in laptops? 49. What describes the port with 3 rows and 15 pins?
50. What BEST describes the function of DNS?
52. What connectors is used to connect a DSL modem to a wall outlet?
53. When unable to get an IP address from a server, what represents an APIPA address that a PC might receive? 54. What expansion slots would support the HIGHEST transfer speeds for high-end graphics cards today?
55. What media types is MOST likely to be affected by electromagnetic interference?
56. What cable types has the MAXIMUM transfer rate of 100Mbps?
57. What is referred to as the Hardware address?
58. What settings when used, is MOST likely to result in an IP address conflict on a local network?
59. What is the default subnet mask for a Class B address?
60. What encryption types is the LEAST secure?
61. A technician has just installed two memory modules on a motherboard that supports DDR3 RAM with the bus speed up to 1600 MHz. The specifications of memory are DDR3 1333 MHz for one module and DDR3 1666MHz for another. On What bus speeds will the system function?
62. The helpdesk technician has been tasked to reinstall the OS on a desktop and has already inserted the OS install disk in the CD-ROM. What would MOST likely need to be configured within the BIOS to continue reinstalling the OS?
63. What devices transmits data to only certain ports?
64. What voltages is MOST likely to be supplied from a PC power supply unit? . 65. What network types BEST represents a network centered on one individual? 66. What cable types uses a 4-wire connector?
68. What is the MAXIMUM transfer speed of USB 3.0?
69. Basic web traffic uses what port?
70. What printer types needs to have ink cartridge replaced as part of the normal maintenance cycle?
71. What printers is required when carbon paper is used?
72. Why type of protocol is “connectionless”?
73. What should be considered when building a standard PC?
74. What connectors would terminate a POTS connection?
75. What connection types is MOST likely to be used to connect an internal hard drive to a computer?
76. What allows a user to use an operating system inside an operating system?
77. What devices converts digital signals to analog ones?
78. What should a technician configure to limit access to a small office home office (SOHO) wireless network by the computer’s NIC hardware identification?
79. What level of the OSI model does TCP and UDP operate at?
80. A customer states that since the new firewall has been installed, the customer has not been able to send webmail. What ports on the firewall should be checked?