ASCM 629 Week 7 Midterm
SUPPLY CHAIN LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT MID-TERM EXAMINATION
Each essay answer for questions 1 through 10 is worth ten points. Please use a between 150 and 300 words per answer. Your answer may include content from text or readings, conference discussions, or relevant workplace examples. These must not be merely cut-and-pasted from other sources. Please do not contact a UMUC Reference Specialist in developing any answer, as discussed in the syllabus. Please save the examination with answers as a Microsoft Word document under a new filename the includes your last name, section (either 9040 or 9041) and “midterm.” An example is \scheer9040midterm.doc .
Please include your name and section number at the heading inside the document. Answers should appear in order, from one through ten. Please make sure you have an answer for each question before submitting it for grading. Completed exams are to be submitted in the mid-term examination assignments folder. These are due before the date indicated in your course schedule. Note that your assignments folder is locked after this time and the exam cannot be submitted.
The test represents 30 percent of your total class grade, so please spend quality time in preparing answers. I estimate that it will take about four to six hours to answer all ten questions; perhaps shorter for some students and more for others.
1. Please compare and contrast economic, market, and relevancy value.
2. Discuss uncertainty as it relates to the overall logistical performance cycle. How can performance cycle variance be controlled?
3. Please explain the differences between transactional and relationship marketing and how they impact logistics performance.
4. How does a firm's marketing strategy impact decisions regarding its manufacturing strategy?
5. What are the financial, supply chain, and human resource challenges a firm may confront when implementing an integrate Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system?
6. Please discuss how a minor change in demand at the retail level can significantly impact supply chain variation for wholesale distributors, manufacturers/assemblers, and raw material/piece part suppliers?
7. Why has there been a trend within supply chain logistics management to push inventory back towards its sources within a distribution channel?
8. Compare and contrast the transport principles of economy of scale and economy of distance.
9. Please discuss and illustrate the economic justification for establishing a warehouse.
10. SCM Globe Simulation - What is the one change that you made which had the most favorable impact upon supply chain effectiveness and efficiency? Please describe the issue which existed, your action, and the results. This discussion must be supported by measurable improvement and the supply chain must be at least as stable as it was prior to the change.