Week 1 Assignment
Problem Set Week One. All statistical calculations will use the Employee Salary Data set (in Appendix
1. Using the Excel Analysis ToolPak function Descriptive Statistics, generate descriptive statistics for the salary data. Which variables does this function not work properly for, even though we have some generated results?
2. Sort the data by either the variable G or GEN1 (into males and females) and find the mean and standard deviation for each gender for the following variables: SAL, COMPA, AGE, SR, and RAISE. Use Descriptive for one gender and the fx functions (AVERAGE and STDEV) for the other.
3. What is the probability distribution table for:
a. A randomly selected person being a male in a specific grade?
b. A randomly selected person being in a specific grade?
a. The z score for each male salary, based on the male salary distribution.
b. The z score for each female salary, based on the female salary distribution.
5. Repeat question 4 for COMPA for each gender.
6. What conclusions can you make about the issue of male and female pay equality? Are all of the results consistent? If not, why not?
For additional assistance with these calculations reference the Recommended Resources for Week One.